The Freemansburg Fire Company (FFC) is located in Freemansburg, Northampton County, Pennsylvania (PA). The FFC currently serves Freemansburg Borough, a one-mile portion of the Lehigh River and canal, and is automatically dispatched into Steel City, Lower Saucon Township on all alarms.
The FFC was originally organized in the early 1900s as the Washington Fire Company. At that time, the primary piece of equipment was a hand pumper which is scheduled to be displayed in the New Jersey Firemen’s Museum when completed. The company disbanded for a few years during wartime but was reorganized in 1929. In 2006, the FFC celebrated its 100 year anniversary.
The Borough of Freemansburg was founded as a prosperous but small canal town, which later came to be mostly populated by steelworkers from the Bethlehem Steel, which was located directly across the Lehigh River from Freemansburg.
Until 1992, the Fire Company operated with a 1956 GMC American Lafrance, a 1979 International mini pumper and a 1984 Chevy converted utility van. In 1992, we placed into service a 1992 KME Pumper. A 1989 Horton Ambulance was placed into service in 1998 as a QRS unit. In 2002, we retired the 1956 GMC and placed into service a 1989 Sanford Rescue/mini pumper. Recently in 2008, we retired the 1984 Chevy and the 1989 Horton replacing them with a 1992 E-One/Frontline walk in utility/rescue. You can find more information on the Apparatus page.